The Federation of International Trade Associations rates Hong Kong as the world's eleventh largest trading hub, thirteenth largest banking center and second most attractive destination for foreign direct investments in Asia. The organization also notes, the agriculture sector is almost non-existent in Hong Kong which has to import 80% of its food supplies. Hong Kong does not possess any natural resources and is entirely dependent on imports for raw materials and energy. In fact, imports and exports (including re-exports) exceed the country's GDP. Enterprising importers and exporters in key sectors may find opportunity in this growing market.
Export and Import Facts
- Hong Kong's 2007 exports totaled US$344.6 billion
- Major exports include clothing, electronics, textiles, watches and clocks and office machinery
- 2007 imports totaled US$367.7 billion
- Major imports include consumer goods, raw materials and semi-manufactures, capital goods, foodstuffs and fuels
Export/ Import Resources
The Government of Hong Kong provides this introduction to trade policy.
On this page, the government's Customs and Excise Department provides a one-stop advisory centre for cargo clearance matters.
Here, the Customs and Excise Department provides information about import and export clearance, prohibited goods and related matters.
This is the Customs and Excise Department's online guide to import and export declaration requirements, forms, penalties, refunds and related matters.
This is the official website of Hong Kong's annual World SME Expo, organized by the Hong Kong Trade Development Council "to help SMEs explore international market opportunities." Participants include "overseas and mainland private enterprises, trade promotion organizations, consulates, trade commissions, international chambers and world trade organizations." Check this page for the most current information regarding the next expo.
Here, the Hong Kong Trade Development Council provides an extensive list of 2009 trade fairs.
The Government of Hong Kong created this directory of more than 300 organizations. It is searchable by alphabetical listing, by the nature or business of the organization and by keywords.
Hong Kong's bilateral chambers of commerce offer some opportunities for networking that can help you establish new connections with importers in Hong Kong or with businesses in other countries whose goods you want to import.
European Chambers of Commerce
- Belgium-Luxembourg Chamber of Commerce in Hong Kong
- British Chamber of Commerce in Hong Kong
- Danish Chamber of Commerce in Hong Kong
- Dutch Chamber of Commerce in Hong Kong
- European Chamber of Commerce in Hong Kong
- French Chamber of Commerce and Industry in Hong Kong
- Delegations of German Industry & Commerce
- Italian Chamber of Commerce in Hong Kong
- Norwegian Chamber of Commerce Hong Kong
- Spanish Chamber of Commerce in Hong Kong
- Swedish Chamber of Commerce in Hong Kong
- Swiss Chamber of Commerce in Hong Kong