Italy covers 116,303 square miles (301,225 square kilometers). Its population of 60.6 million (2011 estimate) includes a workforce of 25.01 million (2010 estimate) occupied primarily in the services industry (67%), followed by industry and commerce (29%) and agriculture (4%).
- Estimated GDP (2010) of US$1.774 trillion or US$30,500 per capita
- GDP grew 1.3% from 2009-2010
- Services account for 73.3% of GDP
- Industry generates 24.9% of GDP. Italy's economic strength is goods manufacture and processing, primarily in small and medium-sized family-owned firms. Its major industries are precision machinery, motor vehicles, chemicals, pharmaceuticals, electric goods, and fashion and clothing.
- Agriculture generates 1.8% of GDP