he islands of the United Kingdom span 93,000 square miles (243,000 square kilometers) that are home to 62.7 million people (2011 estimate), the third largest population in the European Union. Its workforce of 31.45 million (2010 estimate) is employed primarily in services (80.4%, 2006 estimate), followed by industry (18.2%) and agriculture (1.2%).
- Estimated GDP (2010) of US$2.17 trillion or US$34,800 per capita
- GDP grew 1.3% from 2009-2010
- Services account for 77.1% of GDP
- Industry generates 22.1% of GDP. Major industries include machine tools, electric power equipment, automation equipment, railroad equipment, shipbuilding, aircraft, motor vehicles and parts, electronics and communications equipment, metals, chemicals, coal, petroleum, paper and paper products, food processing, textiles, clothing, and other consumer goods.
- Agriculture generates .9% of GDP