Motorcycle Shipping - Checklists
Are you prepared for your trip? Click on any of the checklist topics and the most essential information will appear. We'll get things wrapped up and ready for you.
Complete and send us the following contact form
Important information for smooth shipping
- Valid vehicle registration in Germany.
- Record with regular German vehicle licence plate.
- Inspection of existing insurance policies in order to avoid an increase in premium payments during your stay in the U.S.
- For stays exceeding 90 days, a visa is required for visits to the U.S.; applications for visas should be submitted well in advance.
- Please follow the instructions of DHL Global Forwarding Germany GmbH/ the shipping company / air carrier in every detail.
- Delivery of your motorcycle to the DHL dispatch station (Air freight: 10 days prior to arrival at destination; ocean freight: 10 days prior to vessel departure).
- Oils may remain in the motorcycle.
- Battery must be disconnected and poles need to be wrapped with insulating tape.
- Fuel tank to be max. ¼ full but may contain no more than 5 litres of petrol.
- Motorcycle must be handed over before each shipment in a clean condition - this makes it easier to record possible damage to the paintwork and also helps the U.S. customs officials' vehicle examination done in accordance with U.S. epidemic control laws.
Required travel documents
- Valid passport
- German driver's licence (it is recommended to carry an international driver's licence as well)
- Vehicle registration certificate (Original + 2 copies for the return shipment)*
- if applicable, visa (if staying over 90 days)
For the return shipment U.S. officials sometimes require the original vehicle registration along with 2 copies. Since no vehicle owner wishes to relinquish this important document, we strongly recommend obtaining an international registration certificate from the German vehicle registration office before departure. Costs are approximately at EUR 10.00. The international registration certificate is accepted in lieu of the original registration document.
The necessary shipping documents will be issued by DHL
To issue the shipping documents the following information is required:
- Dimensions (l x w x h in cm) and weight (kg) of motorbike
- Copy of vehicle registration
- Sender's name and address
- Address of destination
- You are responsible for having both vehicle liability insurance and travel insurance yourself. We are of course happy to assist in this matter. Please do not hesitate to ask for our insurance services.
- The German vehicle liability insurance is not valid in the USA.
- It is recommended to obtain American liability insurance, comprehensive and part comprehensive coverage before departing to the States in order to keep costs to a minimum.
- The insurance policy must include all persons who will be driving the motorcycle. Drivers under 25 years of age can be included in the policy at additional charge. Drivers over the age of 65 must submit a certificate of health.
Here are two non-binding references:
Tel. (040) 25172150
Fax (040) 25172121
American International Underwriters
Tel. (06122) 15646
Fax (06122) 8993
- The U.S. customs authorities issue a temporary import permit for the temporary, duty-free import of your motorcycle.
- Customs clearance and handling is included in our service package.
General advice and security regulations
- Luggage on your motorbike during transport is not allowed (due to customs regulations).
- Customs offices are usually closed on Saturdays and Sundays.
- The return shipment will be handled on a stand-by basis, meaning that the motorbike can be used until the very last stay of your tour (before handing it over to the DHL Global Forwarding office for shipping). Your bike will be available in Germany approx. 12 days later.
- The following equipment is strictly prohibited for travelling with your bike:
- Pressure tanks, such as tire repairing sets, lighters, flammable/explosive materials such as ammunition or weapons of any kind.
- The bike must be clean.