Climate friendly shipping and receipt for your customers
Our path to zero emissions in Germany
Deutsche Post DHL Group has committed to improving carbon efficiency by 50% by 2025. Our ultimate mission is to reduce all logistics-related emissions to zero by 2050. To achieve these goals, environmental protection programs have been developed across the Group.
We have also launched a new, Germany-wide Sustainability Campaign.
Alongside our GoGreen shipment solutions we offer a range of additional services that actively contribute to climate protection. In this way, provider and customer support climate protection projects to offset carbon emissions.
Carbon-free delivery by Post and Parcel in Germany
Deliveries made in ~50% of our delivery districts across Germany are already carbon-free: with Streetscooters, e-trikes, e-bikes or on foot.
- We are consistently converting our delivery fleet by introducing more and more electric vehicles.
- In conurbations and city centers, furthermore, deliveries of merchandise mail and an increasing number of small-format parcels are now delivered by bike or on foot.
- This means that one in four DHL parcels and two out of three merchandise mail items are delivered carbon-free.
Choosing GoGreen allows you and your company to make an effective contribution to climate protection. With GoGreen, we offset the carbon emissions that arise in transporting your merchandise parcel shipments within Germany and abroad.
We are taking the next step towards climate-neutral shipping this year with our GoGreen Plus pilot. With a selected group of customers we are actively avoiding transport-related carbon emissions in national parcel shipping - a measure known as insetting.
- Our DHL recipient services - including preferred drop-off location and Packstation delivery - avoid failed deliveries.
- Packstations reduce carbon emissions through simultaneous delivery of multiple parcels and pick-up of returns.
- Digital delivery notifications actively promote paperless processing, doing away with the need for notification cards.
DPDHL's sustainability offensive
- By 2030, DPDHL Group will invest a minimum of EUR7 billion in alternative fuels and in renewing or refurbishing our infrastructure and operating equipment.
- By 2030, we aim to limit carbon emissions at DPDHL Group to less than 29 million metric tons - despite expected business growth.
- Thus we are taking the Science-Based Targets (SBT) approach.
Our goals for more climate protection
DELIVERY: Additional carbon reductions over the last mile by 2025
- Expand carbon-free fleet to 38,000 e-vehicles and 14,000 e-trikes by 2025
- Parallel expansion of charging station network
- ~ 30% carbon reduction over the last mile for Packstation deliveries
TRANSPORTATION: Long-term goal: 20% of parcels transported by rail
- Compared with road freight, each DHL train cuts carbon emissions by between 80% and 100%.
- A single freight train can carry 100,000 parcels.
- The DHL & DB Cargo rail transport network includes 22 permanent connections.
OPERATIONAL SITES: 280 carbon-neutral delivery bases by 2025 and >95% share of green electricity
- These measures alone avoid 5,600 metric tons of CO2 by 2025.
- New company-owned sites equipped with photovoltaics, heat pumps and building automation as standard
- Piloting battery storage at some sites
GREEN PORTFOLIO: Broader range of green products and solutions
- Our GoGreen service has provided climate-neutral shipping since 2007.
- In 2022, we enter the next phase of climate-neutral shipping with GoGreen Plus.
- Purchase of carbon credits ensures offsetting for customers using our climate-neutral GoGreen products and services.
- With our GoGreen solutions, we support quality climate protection projects to offset emissions worldwide - for the benefit of the climate and the people we serve.
More sustainable products and services
*Offsetting of transport-generated carbon emissions through investment in certified climate protection projects.